Hummelstown Swim Club Annual Newsletter (2020)
Please read each year for updated HSC information
Do not abuse the guest privilege! Only guests who live outside a RADIUS of 15 miles from the HSC (not an odometer reading) are allowed to use the pool or recreation facilities, except on special designated occasions. An individual, regardless of age, in swimming attire or street clothes, will be charged a guest fee of $6 per person, per day.
- You, as the member, are responsible for your guest(s) and should remain at the pool with your guest(s).
- An individual with proof of membership to another swimming pool within the 15 mile radius will be permitted as a guest for $6 per day. Resident and backyard pools are not considered membership pools.
- Do not abuse the privilege by bringing in a guest within the 15 mile radius or failing to pay the guest rate. Your guest privilege will be revoked for the current season. Violation of the guest rule could put your HSC membership in jeopardy for the current year or permanent termination.
- A senior citizen, with PROOF of age 60, may use the HSC facilities by paying a $3 senior guest fee. Membership or member sponsor is not required. This does not include guest privileges or the scheduling of a pavilion for a party. When signing the guest log at the desk a senior citizen should sign in as “senior” in place of residency.
HSC members who choose to babysit for non-members during the summer should realize that these children may not be brought to the pool as guests, unless they reside outside the 15 mile radius. Violation of the guest rule could put your HSC membership in jeopardy for the current year or permanent termination.
However, the children of members may bring a babysitter (in swimming attire or street clothes) to the pool as a guest, paying the guest fee. The babysitter does not have to be a HSC member and can reside within the 15 miles radius. However the children of a babysitter, unless outside the 15 mile radius, MAY NOT be brought to the pool as a guest. A babysitter is taking the place of a parent, who should not be present at the pool.
When signing the guest log at the desk a babysitter should sign in as “babysitter” in place of residency.
Only adult members may schedule pavilions for parties, outings, etc. A NON-REFUNDABLE $25 FEE for Small Party Pavilions and NON-REFUNDABLE $35 for the Large Pavilions must be made in order to hold the scheduled date. All non-member guests (swimming or non-swimming) must pay a $6 guest fee to use the facilities. In the case of inclement weather or an unforeseen event which does not permit the opening of the pool, a donation for the use of a pavilion accessing an outside entrance will be acceptable. Call 717- 566-2604 (manager) prior to May 25th and 717-566-2368 (lifeguard at pool) starting May 25th to schedule. Group party rules and a guest sign-in sheet will be given to you on the day of your scheduled event. Please complete the form and return with payment to the lifeguards. If the pool is open, there will be no refund for the cancellation of a party which was booked for that day.
- No alcoholic beverages are allowed!
- Pavilion lavatories are only for the use of the scheduled parties.
- Remember to schedule your event only for the time allotment you will be using the pavilion. e.g. DO NOT schedule “all day” for a 2:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. party.
- You are responsible for your guests the entire time.
- Please do not schedule rain dates. This is a duplicate booking of a pavilion, which leaves a pavilion unscheduled if the rain date is not needed.
- Avoid scheduling a pavilion for a non-existing party merely to have in-town guests. Be fair!
- Remember, you are responsible for cleanup after your party. See posted instructions and party rules handout.
- Pavilions may not be reserved on Memorial Day, Relay Invitational, July 4th, Guest Days, Adult Steak Night, or Labor Day.
The HSC is a smoke-free facility. There will be no smoking or use of other tobacco products allowed on the premises, including the outside entrances to pavilions. The designated area for smoking is outside the main entrance gate ONLY. Violators will be suspended indefinitely.
Please follow the traffic pattern indicated by arrows in the parking lot.
There are designated handicapped parking spaces for use with disability placard or plate. There are also designated parking spaces for lifeguards who are on duty. Overflow parking will be available on the lower lot (beyond the recreation area), as needed. Please use good discretion on parking patterns.
Do not park on Kokomo Avenue or in unmarked spaces.
Hummelstown Swim Team
Previous swim team members will be e-mailed registration information. For more information or new swim team members, Call Coach Cari Zelko 717-583-2562. Web Site: https://hummelstownflamingos.wordpress.com Registration date will be in March 2019. Until the school year ends, team practices will be held from 3:30 – 5:30 p.m., Mon.-Fri. After school closes, practices are held from 7:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m., Mon,-Fri., and Sun., Tues. & Thurs. evenings from 7:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. until the end of July. Practices utilize the Lap Pool. Saturday swim meet dates will be posted; the pool will open to members at 1:00 p.m.
When borrowing a HSC umbrella, please return it to the umbrella rack located in the ping pong room. This is not a duty of the lifeguards.
- For covered dish socials on July 4th and Labor Day, please bring your own plates, cups, bowls, silverware and beverage along with a covered dish.
- Campouts will be held for HSC member boys and girls ages 7 to 10 years old. Date, cost and hours will be posted at the pool.
- Teen Night (minimum age 11) will be held. “In-Town” guests will be allowed. Date, cost and hours will be posted at the pool.
- “In-Town” Guest Days are for individuals and/or families, regardless of residency. Guest fee is $6 per person, per day. Regular pool hours, 10:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- “In-Town” guests are allowed at the Adult Steak Night, 8:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m. Bring your own plates, cups, bowls, silverware and beverage.
Refreshment Stand Volunteers
Anyone, approximately 12 years of age or older, who does not have a membership to HSC, is eligible to work in the refreshment stand for swimming privileges. Refreshment stand volunteers may not bring guests or other members of their family. Anyone interested should call Mrs. Linda Strine, Pool Manager, at 717-566-2274 (Home).
- Any individual with medical problems and/or special needs must be supervised in and out of the water by a responsible person at all times.
- Children wearing swimming vests, inflatable bubbles, swimmies, etc. need parental supervision at all times. Swimmies are not recommended, because they restrict good swimming technique with the arms. Adults should supervise all children, especially non-swimmers.
- If a child is using a floatation device, a parent must supervise the child on the low diving boards and slide. NO floatation devices are allowed on the high diving board.
If your dues are not paid for two consecutive years, your membership will be terminated. To become an active member again, you must obtain a new membership. If you miss one year, you must pay the past year’s dues PLUS current year’s dues to remain active.
Other than the postcard with dues information mailed in the spring of the year to the last known address, there will be no further notification that your membership has been automatically suspended and/or terminated.
Members on the four year payment plan must make designated payments for consecutive years until the membership fee is completed. If one year is missed, the membership is incomplete and is automatically terminated. In order to reactivate the membership, the member must pay the past year’s dues and membership fee plus the current year’s dues and membership fee. Payments are not refundable.
Any child on an active membership who reaches the age of 18, or marries, is automatically removed from the family membership. However they are eligible to start a new membership at the current membership rates without going on the waiting list. Unmarried children in high school, college, or the military service remain on the membership. Please verify status on the information form if the child is to remain on the membership. Call the pool manager at 717-566-2604 for additional questions.
HSC does not issue membership cards when yearly dues are paid. Your name is your admission and should be given EVERY TIME you enter the pool facility and pass the lifeguard desk. This method of identification is based on a policy of trust, relying on members to follow and help enforce the policy. Infractions, such as illegal guests, should be reported to the lifeguards (717-566-2368) or the manager (717-566-2604), either verbally or in writing. Remember, you paid a membership fee and yearly dues. It is not fair for others to infringe on this privilege. Members who bring non-member individuals into the pool under their membership will have their guest privileges revoked for the current season.Your guest privilege will be revoked for the current season. Violation of the guest rule could put your HSC membership in jeopardy for the current year or permanent termination.
Teenagers (ages 11 to 19) will be required to sign in every day upon entering the pool facility with or without their parent(s).
No one is allowed to wear eyeglasses or sunglasses in the swimming pool at any time. It is recommended that swimmers with poor vision or who experience light sensitivity in the water, purchase tinted, prescription swim goggles.
The lifeguarding course WILL be offered at the HSC in 2021 for those seeking employment at the Hummelstown Swim Club. For more information, call Patti Wrightstone, ARC Instructor, 717-576-0404.